INSECURITY
Bandits Threaten Niger Estate Residents: Vacate or Face Death
Suspected bandits have reportedly ordered residents of M.I Wushishi Estate in Minna, Niger State, to vacate their homes or face death. The assailants, believed to be illegal miners, allegedly invaded the estate while most male residents were at work, smashing windows and damaging cars.
A resident, speaking anonymously on Monday, said the attack followed complaints lodged by the community at a nearby police station about the miners causing damage to their homes.
“The hoodlums, likely miners from the area, have threatened all the residents of M.I Wushishi Housing Estate to either leave or be killed. They stormed the community in broad daylight, shattering windows and damaging several cars,” the resident explained.
He added, “This attack occurred after we reported their activities to the police. These individuals warned us they were coming, and they did so when most men were away at work. Many high-ranking civil servants live in this estate, including directors and permanent secretaries.”
Many residents have since fled the estate in fear of further violence, he noted, lamenting the lack of security in the area. “Nowhere is safe in this state anymore. If it’s not bandits or terrorists, it’s hoodlums and miners driving people from their homes. Where is the government?”
Niger State Police Command spokesman Wasiu Abiodun confirmed the incident but assured that peace had been restored. He said, “On 02/09/2024, around 1400hrs, we received a distress call reporting an attack by suspected illegal miners and miscreants at M.I Wushishi Estate. Police patrol teams intervened, and the situation was brought under control. However, one person was killed during the attack, and investigations are ongoing to arrest those responsible.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login