Connect with us

POLITICS

Obaseki Accuses APC of Borrowing N5 Billion for Okpebholo’s Inauguration

Published

on

Godwin Obaseki

The outgoing Governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of borrowing between N2 billion and N5 billion to finance the inauguration of the newly elected governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo.

Obaseki, speaking at the inauguration of a 10-man caretaker committee for the state’s Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Benin City on Friday, claimed that the APC is using state resources irresponsibly. He expressed concerns that the incoming government is already spending funds intended for ongoing projects, which he described as a move to mislead the public during the transition.

“It is during this holiday period that they will attempt to spend as much money as possible to confuse the people and change their perception,” Obaseki said. “We have almost N27 billion set aside for projects and other obligations, but they have already started squandering it. Now, they’ve gone to borrow money for the inauguration, which will cost between N2 billion and N5 billion. This is money they are taking from the state treasury.”

Advertisement

Obaseki further lamented that his administration had been excluded from the inauguration proceedings, questioning the integrity of the process. “They are doing an inauguration, and the sitting governor is not even invited. It’s as though they are starting a brand new government in a brand new state,” he added.

Regarding his future involvement with the party, Obaseki reassured the PDP members that he would remain committed to the party and continue to offer guidance. He also vowed that the party would fight to reclaim what he called its “stolen mandate.”

“We will reclaim our stolen mandate, for the sake of Nigeria. If we allow the APC to hold on to our mandate, it will mark the end of democracy in Nigeria,” he said. “This fight is not just for our candidate, but for the people of Nigeria and the future of our democracy.”

Advertisement

Asue Ighodalo, the PDP’s candidate in the September 21, 2024, governorship election, also addressed party members, urging them to remain strong in their quest to reclaim the election results. He highlighted the next steps in their legal battle, noting that the PDP was preparing to respond to the APC’s petition regarding the election.

“We expect them to reply to our petition next week,” Ighodalo said. “We have five days to respond to their petition. This will take us to about November 19, 2024. After that, we’ll move into the pre-hearing stage before the major hearing begins by the end of November.”

Meanwhile, the APC has accused the outgoing administration of financial mismanagement, alleging that N14 billion was siphoned from Edo State’s account within one week following the deposit of N24.6 billion into the state’s treasury. The APC also raised concerns over Governor Obaseki’s approval of three supplementary budgets since January 2024, including a N450 billion allocation passed just before the September election.

Advertisement

“These actions raise serious questions about the true purpose of these massive budget allocations,” the APC said in a recent statement. “The total amount squandered during Obaseki’s tenure has reportedly reached nearly N2 trillion. Edo people have a right to know where this money has gone and why the outgoing administration appears determined to empty the state’s coffers before leaving office.”

Share with a friend: