Connect with us

INSECURITY

Delta Police Debunk Reports of Bandit Attacks on Delta Schools

Published

on

Nigerian Police

The Delta State Police Command has dismissed reports of an invasion at Girls’ Secondary School, Utagba-Ogbe, Kwale, as false.

Earlier, primary and secondary schools in the Kwale area had been closed following claims that unknown gunmen had entered the community. Panic reportedly spread as parents rushed to collect their children, while students and staff abandoned the school. Some students claimed to have seen two men carrying firearms approaching the premises.

However, Delta State Commissioner of Police, Olufemi Abaniwonda, clarified that the reports were based on misinformation among students, which were further amplified by unverified online posts. The alleged invasion, said to have occurred on November 24, 2025, at around 9:30 am, was entirely false.

Advertisement

“Upon receiving the report, I immediately ordered a coordinated response and deployed the DCO Kwale Division, SP Udofia Kufre, to lead a patrol team for verification and security assessment,” Abaniwonda said.

Interviews with the school’s Vice Principal and security officer confirmed that no attack took place and that the panic stemmed solely from student misinformation. Adjoining schools were also checked and found to be calm and operating normally.

Parents have been advised to remain calm, as normalcy has been fully restored. The police commissioner warned against spreading unverified information capable of causing fear or disrupting academic activities.

Advertisement

Abaniwonda urged school authorities to strengthen internal communication, promptly report suspicious activities to nearby police formations, and collaborate with local security outfits to enhance monitoring around school premises.

Share with a friend: