NIGERIA NEWS
President Tinubu Calls for Two-State Solution to Resolve Israeli-Palestinian Conflict at Saudi Summit
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, on Monday in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, called for an immediate halt to Israeli aggression in Gaza, emphasizing that “the conflict in Palestine has gone on for far too long, causing untold suffering.”
Addressing the extraordinary Arab-Islamic Summit convened to discuss the ongoing crisis in the Middle East, President Tinubu voiced deep concern about the worsening humanitarian situation in Gaza. The one-day summit, which followed last year’s Riyadh summit, brought together Heads of State and Government from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the League of Arab States.
Reaffirming Nigeria’s position, President Tinubu called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza and reiterated Nigeria’s support for a two-state solution, where both Israelis and Palestinians can live side by side in peace, security, and dignity. He described the two-state solution as a critical path to achieving lasting peace in the region.
“The conflict in Palestine has endured for far too long, causing immeasurable suffering,” said President Tinubu. “As representatives of nations that uphold justice, dignity, and the sanctity of human life, we have a moral duty to bring this conflict to an end. It is not enough to issue empty condemnations; the world must act to end the aggression in Gaza, which has gone on for far too long.”
“No political objective, military strategy, or security concern should ever come at the expense of innocent lives,” he added.
The Nigerian leader further called for adherence to the principles of proportionality and respect for civilian rights, consistent with international legal and diplomatic standards. “In a rules-based international order, states have the right to self-defense. However, self-defense must be proportional and in line with global legal, diplomatic, and moral frameworks,” he stated.
“A civilian population, their dreams, and futures cannot be dismissed as collateral damage,” he added.
Explaining Nigeria’s consistent stance on the two-state solution, President Tinubu emphasized that it represents the fundamental right of both Israelis and Palestinians to self-determination and peace. “It is not just a diplomatic article of faith; it is a vision grounded in the principles of equality and mutual recognition,” he said.
He stressed that resolving the conflict requires a commitment to dialogue and a deep understanding of the historical context. “This conflict, rooted in the cradle of history, is so visceral that its impact ripples across the world. The endless images of violence broadcast globally are corrosive. We must find new pathways to peace, without delay,” he said.
President Tinubu commended King Salman of Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for organizing the summit, calling it a critical opportunity to reinvigorate diplomatic efforts and work toward sustainable peace in the Middle East. He assured that Nigeria, with its own experiences of overcoming division, would continue to support international efforts aimed at promoting peace and stability in the region.
“Our own experiences, both domestically and regionally, have taught us that identity politics are no substitute for respecting the nuances of diversity,” President Tinubu remarked.
He further emphasized the need for honest conversation and dialogue in the pursuit of reconciliation, acknowledging the complexities faced by both sides in the conflict. “The international community has the opportunity to introduce new thinking and solutions to this persistent challenge. It is our duty to engage in this dialogue with sincerity and determination,” he said.
President Tinubu also called for the establishment of a secretariat to oversee the implementation of the summit’s resolutions. He urged leaders to designate a select group of Heads of Government to build global support for the resolutions and monitor their execution. These leaders would provide regular updates to the OIC and Arab League leadership until permanent peace is achieved in the Middle East.
In his opening remarks, Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman condemned Israel’s actions in Gaza and Lebanon, including the targeting of civilians and the ongoing desecration of the Al-Aqsa Mosque. He also condemned Israel’s ban on the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) from providing aid to Palestinians and the displacement of Lebanese citizens.
The Crown Prince reaffirmed Saudi Arabia’s commitment to promoting Palestinian statehood based on the 1967 borders and called for further international recognition of Palestine. He also highlighted the importance of preserving Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and urged more states to join the Global Coalition for Palestinian statehood, alongside the European Union and Norway.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login